Friday, September 23, 2011

Beader's Table



What is this?  Keep reading to find out!


I have come to realize that a lot of what I work on is never seen.  Indeed, many of my jewelry items aren't ever featured on my store.  


Why not?


These items are prototypes.  I am constantly pushing myself to experiment, create, and learn.  There are so many new techniques to master, so many materials to use, so many designs to develop.  Only when I am pleased with the results do I list them on my shop.  


These items are custom orders for friends.  For example, I have recently made two pairs of hairsticks for one of my friends: one of them using steampunk gears, the other using small fish beads.  I didn't take pictures of either of them.  Also, I just finished an order for a charm bracelet... but I'm not going to post pictures here because it's a present--and I'm not going to post it on my store, because it was made for a specific person.


And, these non-featured items are even the occasional piece for myself.  (*gasp!*)  


Yet, I realize that all of these pieces deserve to be seen.  And so, for the first time, I am posting what's currently on my beader's table.  Read on to see the projects I'm currently working on!


---


First up: experiment with purple and green and copper


Close up of the three strands--each with a combination of seed beads
and larger 3-4mm beads

I truly love this color combination; it features prominently in one of my stories.  To me, it represents all that is regal--trees and the forest, and also noble Storytellers and people who stand for Truth.  I have been wanting to make a three-stranded necklace in these colors for a long time...  I have been taking time to gather just the right beads.


This necklace is my first attempt.


A view of the full necklace--it can be worn with the
toggle clasp on the side, or in the back


Overall, I am very pleased with it.  I have enough beads to make another one...  I'm not sure if I'm going to leave the design as it is, or if I'm going to change it.  I suppose we'll have to see!


---


Next up: the Necklace of Curiosities


Yes, that is a giant shark tooth

This necklace truly reminds me of something you would find in a Victorian Curio of Curiosities.  As its focal, it features a brass Megalodon tooth--a hefty pendant, which was actually part of a keychain before I got to it.  


Because of its weight, I chose to hang it from the thickest brass chain I have.  The length is adjustable--up to 24" inches, for pure fossil bling.  At the end of the chain, to add to the Victorian theme, I added filigree and a steampunk-inspired gear.  This can hang either in the front or in the back.

How the necklace looks, with the filigree and gear
hanging on the front

Overall, I think I'm pleased with how it turned out.  I have still to try it on--but, I like the thought of it, at least, and definitely have a good start!


---


Third on the list: what to do with these orange beads?

For some reason, I had the hardest time figuring out
what to do with that orange pendant bead

I have three ceramic coin beads in the most delicious Autumn orange.  I have had these beads for at least two years now--and I have never been able to figure out what to do with them.  


Until today.  Today, I sat down at my beading table and made both the above necklace and a pair of hairstick toppers--using up all three of the ceramic coins.  


With this necklace, I am pleased.


---


And, last but not least, beads and components that I'm still working with:



Fun things to look forward to!  The copper component I think is going to be worked into a hairstick dangle...  The modern looking circle set is going to be made into a necklace and matching asymmetrical earrings...  I'm not sure what I'm doing with the Carnelian teardrops...  And the Autumn orange ceramic bead will happily remain as part of its necklace.  


...Looking over this entry, I am once more reminded that I am surrounded by beautiful things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)