Friday, May 6, 2011

Story behind the story...

I find inspiration everywhere.  


I have notebook after notebook full of thoughts and sketches--ideas for hairsticks, ideas for earrings, ideas for the stories that go with them.  I write down dreams that I've had, words that strike my fancy.  I cut out pictures that intrigue me and tape them in.  They are messy notebooks--but that's not the point.  They are my idea notebooks.


Most of the time, these notebooks hide from the limelight, letting my creations shine for themselves.  There is no thought of what inspired those works of art--they are just there.


Yet, every once and awhile, I feel the need to share what prompts me to create.  And that is the case for some of the items that I posted today.  


Which items are those, you might ask?  I present: Noble Court Celebration!

Noble Court Celebration - Earrings

Noble Court Celebration - Hairstick

Rather striking, isn't it?  I love the combination of red and silver...  It's not done very often, so when it is, I think it's dynamic!

Beyond the color combination, however, this set is special to me.  Why?  Because of what inspired it.

This set was inspired by my mother.  

And so, here is the story behind the story...  

Several summers ago, my mother told me that she was having trouble finding necklaces that she were a good length for her.  (Most necklaces are 18 inches, but she prefers them to be 16 inches.)  Excited at the thought of a project, I offered to make her some jewelry.  

Together, we went to the bead store (oh what glorious fun!), and she picked out colors that would match her outfits.  Thus armed, I went to work.

I made many, many necklaces for her that summer... all with matching earrings.  One of the sets that I made for her was this one:

Look familiar?


I wrote stories for all of my creations, too... including the one for this set, entitled "Noble Court Celebration".  That story was inspired by the relationship between my parents: two wonderful people, who get more awesome every passing day.  I am truly honored to know them.


...And, with that said, I am honored to dedicate today's listings, the Noble Court Celebration, to my mother.  She was the one who picked out the beads that inspired it, and she was the one who prompted its story.


Happy Mother's Day!

2 comments:

  1. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh, dearest Jen! What a precious gift!!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are more than welcome! You are an inspiration and a blessing.

    Love,
    Your Jen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)