Thursday, October 14, 2010

Posted - Red Lady of Ilangrath Hairstick

One of my (many) visions for my store is to list more hairsticks.  I enjoy making them, after all; they are what prompted me to have an Etsy store in the first place.  (I have always made jewelry, but hairsticks were new and exciting!)  

Couple that with the fact that I love being coordinated.  One of my favorite things is to actually have full sets based on a similar theme.  If I am going to wear a pair of earrings, I like having a necklace and hairsticks and even socks that match perfectly.  Or perhaps a scarf.  Or a bandanna.  I'm sure you get the picture.   

So, with these two things in mind, it's no surprise that I have been going through and making hairsticks for sets that did not previously have them.  The first evidence of this was these.  And today, that vision has been even further realized!

I have posted the Red Lady of Ilangrath Hairstick.






I made it to go along with the other two items in the Red Lady series, including the necklace:



and the earrings:




And so, the set is complete!  Until I decide to make bookmarks that match everything as well.  Or rings.  Or letter openers.  So many possibilities!


---


And, simply because I like it, here is the accompanying story for this set:


Once a year, on Midsummer’s Day, the kingdoms of the Plains hold a grand jousting tournament called the Feast of Ilangrath. A time of great joy and frivolity, it is more than simply a festival... it is the reminder and re-enactment of the story of the Red Knight of Ilangrath and his Lady.

The Red Knight was said to be the bravest, strongest, and most valorous knight of his time. While many rival knights saw him as their greatest competition, many ladies saw him as the most handsome man in the Plains. Yet while these ladies swooned over his acts of prowess, he had eyes for only one: the Lady Imarrian, his childhood sweetheart. He and the Lady Imarrian were very much in love, and betrothed to be married on Midsummer’s Day. 

Yet the week before their wedding, the Lady Imarrian disappeared. Despondent, the Red Knight searched for her high and low, only to find that she had been secreted away by a jealous knight. True to honor and love, the Red Knight challenged the interloper, and fought bravely for his betrothed. After an intense duel and incredible show of arms, the Red Knight was victorious. 

This great battle for love and honor is relived every year. To the victor of the Ilangrath tournament, a crown of gold and rose is given. In addition, many knights also use the opportunity to give their ladies jewelry of red and gold to wear—tokens that claim that their love rivals that of the Red Knight and the Lady Imarrian.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)