Saturday, October 16, 2010

More About Owls...

I went to another nature program at my local park today.  I know, what a surprise!  Free fun!  The naturalist even recognized my friend and me...  although that might have had something to do with the fact that we were the only adults there not attached to children.  (Indeed, there were at least 15 girl scouts there along with their respective adults, as well as probably 4 other families with children.)


So why was I there?  To see the owls, of course!


The program highlighted the three local owl species found in this region: the Screech Owl, the Barred Owl, and the Great Horned Owl.  I knew much of the material already--this was, after all, not my first owl program.  However, it was all worth it because there were live examples of each species there--all rescued owls who currently live in the park system.  


They were awesome.


Of course, I did my best to take pictures.  However, it is very hard to take pictures of owls when both they and their handler are constantly in motion.  Although blurry, I am still proud that I was able to get these (considering I don't have special wildlife photography equipment, after all).


I present:  Owls!

The Best Picture of the Day--
The 10 year old Eastern Screech Owl.

Another shot of the Screech Owl...
He looks annoyed that we woke him up
from his nap.

One of my favorite owls -- the Barred Owl.
This one is completely blind in both eyes.

The Tiger of the Skies -- the Great Horned Owl.
This guy has damaged vision (no depth perception).
He was absolutely huge, with a 4 foot wingspan!

5 interesting facts about these owls, according to the naturalist*:


~ They have 14 vertebrae in their neck, making it possible for them to turn their heads almost 270 degrees (they cannot move their eyes, so they have to move their heads to see what is next to them).  In comparison, humans only have 7 vertebra in their neck.


~ Barred Owls are one of the only owl species that have dark eyes.  If you notice in the pictures above, both the Screech Owl and Great Horned Owl have yellow eyes.


~ Barred Owls also do not have ear tufts.  Their head is completely smooth.


~ The feathers of owls feel like velvet.  This is because of special little hairs/filaments (cannot remember the scientific name) on the feather itself.  It is these little barbs that are responsible for the owls' famous silent flying, as they muffle the wingbeat against the wind.


~ Like most birds, owls cannot smell.  Hence the Great Horned Owl can eat skunks and not have to worry about being sprayed with musk.


Obviously, she stated much more than that...  but since this entry is becoming rather long, I will leave it that.  Once again, I will state that I love owls.  They are extremely impressive, efficient, majestic animals.


...And, for the record, may I also state that crepuscular is a bizarre word?


---
* Disclaimer - I have not actually verified this information.  I have no reason to believe that the naturalist was incorrect, but I wanted at least to let it be known.  Thank you!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)