Thursday, August 26, 2010

Of Cats and Marigolds...

This morning was beautiful.


The weather was perfect...  not too hot, not too cold, skies brilliant and clear.  True to character, I decided--surprise, surprise--to utilize the light and take pictures.  My mother-in-law's marigolds were my choice subject, and so I trundled outside with camera in hand.


Call me strange, but I love the smell of marigolds...  true, it is not the elegant fragrance that accompanies roses or the sweet aroma of honeysuckle.  It's actually pretty musty and musky.  Yet, my mother used to plant marigolds when I was little.  As an extension, the smell reminds me of being barefoot and covered in dirt, laughing in the summer.  Call me nostalgic, but it is a very happy association.


And so, to the marigolds I went.  Here are some of the first pictures that I took:






My excursion did not go unnoticed, however.  As soon as I started taking pictures, I had company.  Loudly purring, rather pushy company.


Meet Tolkien:




What a reproachful look!  Like all cats, he apparently thought that my time would be much better if devoted to him:




And me...  well, I'm a sucker.  I mean, he was purring so loudly that he sounded like a boat motor.  So, I obliged him.  In so doing, I found that petting a cat is one of the best ways to get him to pose.






I don't know how long I spent bonding with the cat, but it was worth it.  I was able to snap a few more pictures of the marigolds (see below), and then came back inside feeling rejuvenated.






All in all, it was a lovely way to spend the morning.  Looking back, it was certainly one of the highlights of my day.  (Although going out to dinner was definitely up there as well--a chance to get out of the house, and spend time with some of my favorite people.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)